Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Sheep Talk Introductions

Brand new blog! OOOH, it reminds me of a clean, new sheet of paper. So many possibilities; I love it. Let's begin with introductions. I'm Dena and incredibly blessed that God has allowed me to be the Executive Director of this amazing ministry, The Samaritan Center.

What do you think of "Sheep Talk" as the name for our new blog? It's inspired by the Book of John when Jesus asks his disciple, Peter, "Do you love me?" He asks three times, and each time Peter answers that he does. After each affirmation, Jesus gives Peter a responsibility: The first is "Feed my lambs." The second is, "Take care of my sheep." The final ministry he hands to Peter is, "Feed my sheep." - John 21:15-17

Most Christians would agree that they love Christ, and as in any relationship, love is the key. When you love someone, that love comes with responsibility because love is never selfish. "If I have a faith that can move mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing.  If I give all I possess to the poor and give over my body to hardship that I may boast, but do not have love, I gain nothing. Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud.  It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs.  Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres."
 -  1 Corinthians 13:2-7

At the  Samaritan Center, we respond with Christ-inspired love to families and individuals who are in the midst of an emergency - perhaps there is a health problem in the family, a lost job, or an eviction notice. We address the need for food with the Samaritan Center Food Bank, our pantry stocked with an eye toward nutritious foods like beans, grains, cereals, vegetables, tuna, and more. Some financial needs also meet our guidelines and allow us to assist with utility bills, rent/mortgage, medication, and other expenses. We have Holiday Adoption Programs and a Back to School Sponsorship that are great fun and joy-filled.

There is always a buzz here because something is always happening! Our Thrift Shoppe, Gran's Attic re-stocks each day and has amazing values. Over 100 volunteers enter our buildings to work each week! What unites us all in such a sweet spirit of ministry is love for our God. We believe this is His ministry and not ours. We strive to feed his sheep in all that we do and trust that He will be glorified. Stay tuned to this blog and pray along with us as walk and sheep talk together in service, love, and fellowship.

No comments:

Post a Comment